Fault Detection in Steel Surfaces Using Deep Learning Approaches
There is sustainable growth in the industries in various developing nations. Quality maintenance of the product under development is an essential part of the product development process. Product quality affects the performance of the product. Various kinds of issues in the manufacturing can impact negatively on the product. Therefore, it is needed to make sure that the manufactured products are fault-free by establishing and employing such softwares that will ultimately bring some ease in the fault detection process. This paper aims to diagnose faults on steel surfaces by using convolutional neural networks and classification by making use of 5 different types of classifiers. They are Support Vector machines, Naive Bayes Classifier, Decision Tree, K-nearest Neighbors, and Random Forest. We have used 4 different types of models namely, Alexnet, InceptionV3, Resnet and VGG16. The testing accuracy was found to be maximum for the VGG16 model which was recorded to be 75.02%. Among the classifiers, the best accuracy was found out with Random Forest and Decision Tree classifiers to be 74.9% and 74.3% respectively. The defects are classified among the 4 categories of defects and are highlighted using image segmentation.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Adhao, R. B., Pachghare, V. K., Khadse, V. M., et al. 2021. Hybrid intrusion detection system. International Journal of Next-Generation Computing 12, 5. DOI: https://doi.org/10.47164/ijngc.v12i5.439
- Deng, J., Dong, W., Socher, R., Li, L.-J., Li, K., and Fei-Fei, L. 2009. Imagenet: A large-scale hierarchical image database. In 2009 IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition. Ieee, 248–255. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2009.5206848
- Du, P., Samat, A., Waske, B., Liu, S., and Li, Z. 2015. Random forest and rotation forest for fully polarized sar image classification using polarimetric and spatial features. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 105, 38–53. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2015.03.002
- Fadli, V. F. and Herlistiono, I. O. 2020. Steel surface defect detection using deep learning. Int. J. Innov. Sci. Res. Technol 5, 244–250. DOI: https://doi.org/10.38124/IJISRT20JUL240
- Han, X., Zhong, Y., Cao, L., and Zhang, L. 2017. Pre-trained alexnet architecture with pyramid pooling and supervision for high spatial resolution remote sensing image scene classification. Remote Sensing 9, 8, 848. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/rs9080848
- Kaur, T. and Gandhi, T. K. 2019. Automated brain image classification based on vgg-16 and transfer learning. In 2019 International Conference on Information Technology (ICIT). IEEE, 94–98. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIT48102.2019.00023
- Li, J., Su, Z., Geng, J., and Yin, Y. 2018. Real-time detection of steel strip surface defects based on improved yolo detection network. IFAC-PapersOnLine 51, 21, 76–81. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2018.09.412
- Li, X., Wang, L., and Sung, E. 2004. Multilabel svm active learning for image classification. In 2004 International Conference on Image Processing, 2004. ICIP’04. Vol. 4. IEEE, 2207– 2210.
- McCann, S. and Lowe, D. G. 2012. Local naive bayes nearest neighbor for image classification. In 2012 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition. IEEE, 3650–3656. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2012.6248111
- McNeely-White, D., Beveridge, J. R., and Draper, B. A. 2020. Inception and resnet features are (almost) equivalent. Cognitive Systems Research 59, 312–318. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cogsys.2019.10.004
- Mishra, S. P., Sarkar, U., Taraphder, S., Datta, S., Swain, D., Saikhom, R., Panda, S., and Laishram, M. 2017. Multivariate statistical data analysis-principal component analysis (pca). International Journal of Livestock Research 7, 5, 60–78. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5455/ijlr.20170415115235
- Shao, X., Wang, Q., Yang, W., Chen, Y., Xie, Y., Shen, Y., and Wang, Z. 2021. Multi- scale feature pyramid network: A heavily occluded pedestrian detection network based on resnet. Sensors 21, 5, 1820. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/s21051820
- Song, F., Guo, Z., and Mei, D. 2010. Feature selection using principal component analysis. In 2010 international conference on system science, engineering design and manufacturing informatization. Vol. 1. IEEE, 27–30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSEM.2010.14
- Vailaya, A., Jain, A., and Zhang, H. J. 1998. On image classification: City images vs. landscapes. Pattern recognition 31, 12, 1921–1935. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-3203(98)00079-X
- Wen, L., Li, X., and Gao, L. 2020. A transfer convolutional neural network for fault diagnosis based on resnet-50. Neural Computing and Applications 32, 10, 6111–6124. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00521-019-04097-w