DecenTube: A decentralized video streaming platform (dApp) using Ethereum and IPFS
Video streaming platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo, and Dailymotion are both a boon and bane in our lives, as this privilege comes bundled with the responsibility of user privacy and data. Video streaming platforms store data in a server that is vulnerable to crashes. Decentralized applications, on the other hand utilize blockchain technology, which is a series of blocks connected sequentially. These transactions remain immutable. Thus security is enhanced. Ethereum based applications are decentralized. Distributed storage reduces the cost of server-side hardware and increases data availability. IPFS (Interplanetary file system), a peer to peer hypermedia protocol, stores immutable data, removes duplication and obtains address information for storage nodes to search for files in the network. We have also used a collaborative IPFS cluster along with the traditional IPFS system. There is a crypto-incentive system which rewards the uploader with ERC-20 (Ethereum Request for Comments) tokens.
How to Cite
Hemendra Mahendra Naik, Shubham Ashay Vaity, Shannon Nelson D’mello, & Saurabh Dadasaheb Patil. (2020). DecenTube: A decentralized video streaming platform (dApp) using Ethereum and IPFS. International Journal of Next-Generation Computing, 11(2), 178–190. https://doi.org/10.47164/ijngc.v11i2.175
- Chavan, S., Warke, P., Ghuge, S., and Deolekar, R. V. 2019. Music streaming application using blockchain. In 6th International Conference on Computing for Sustainable Global Development (INDIACom). New Delhi, India, pp.1035–1040.
- DecenTube-Smart-Contract. 2020. Ropsten testnet network - etherscan. https://ropsten.etherscan.io/address/0x6b5f1d286b4e0d2927659b10deb6fce4c25aed79 (accessed April 29, 2020).
- DLive. 2020. Dlive - live stream on blockchain. https://dlive.tv/m/home/ (accessed April 24,2020).
- Dsound. 2020. Dsound - decentralized sound platform. https://dsound.audio/ (accessed April 25, 2020).
- Google. 2020. Eth to inr, google search. https://www.google.com/search?q=eth+to+inr (accessed May 01, 2020).
- IPFS. 2020. Interplanetary file system. https://ipfs.io/ (accessed May 04, 2020).
- IPFS-Cluster. 2020. Ipfs cluster- pinset orchestration for ipfs. https://cluster.ipfs.io/ (accessed May 04, 2020).
- Kaleem, M. and Laszka, A. 2020. Vyper: A security comparison with solidity based on common vulnerabilities. ArXiv, abs/2003.07435.
- Kok, A. S. 2019. Implementing a decentralized application using ipfs. In Hands-on Blockchain for Python Developers: Gain Blockchain Programming Skills to Build Decentralized Applications Using Python. Packt Publishing, p.382.
- Le, T., Kim, Y., and Jo, J. 2019. Implementation of a blockchain-based event reselling system. In 6th International Conference on Computational Science/Intelligence and Applied Informatics (CSII). Honolulu, HI, USA, pp.50–55.
- MetaMask. 2020. Metamask - a crypto wallet & gateway to blockchain apps. https://metamask.io/ (accessed March 03, 2020).
- Remix. 2020. Remix - ethereum ide. https://remix.ethereum.org/ (accessed February 26, 2020).
- Sathish, S. K., Patankar, A. A., and Khanna, H. 2019. Aurum: A blockchain based decentralized video streaming platform. In IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC). Marrakesh, Morocco, pp.1–8.
- SmartCheck. 2020. https://tool.smartdec.net/ (accessed February 04, 2020).
- Vogelsteller, F. and Buterin, V. 2015. Eip 20: Erc-20 token standard. https://eips.ethereum.org/EIPS/eip-20 (accessed January 18, 2020).
- Vyper. 2020. Vyper - contract-oriented, pythonic programming language. https://vyper.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ (accessed April 15, 2020)