Due to heterogenous shape of liver, the segmentation and classification of liver is challenging task. Therefore, Computer-Aided Diagnosis (CAD) is employed for predictive decision making for liver diagnosis. The major intuition of this paper is to detect liver cancer in a precise manner by automatic approach. The developed model initially collects the standard benchmark LiTS dataset, and image preprocessing is done by three techniques like Histogram equalization for contrast enhancement, and median filtering and Anisotropic diffusion filtering for noise removal. Further, the Adaptive thresholding is adopted to perform the liver segmentation. As a novelty, optimized Fuzzy centroid-based region growing model is proposed for tumor segmentation in liver. The main objective of this
tumor segmentation model is to maximize the entropy by optimizing the fuzzy centroid and threshold of region growing using Mean Fitness-based Salp Swarm Optimization Algorithm (MF-SSA). From segmented tumor, the features like Local Directional Pattern (LDP) and Gray Level Co-occurrence Matrix (GLCM) are extracted. The extracted features are given as input to NN, and segmented tumor is given to Convolutional Neural Network (CNN). The AND bit operation to both of the outputs obtained from NN and CNN confirms the healthy and unhealthy CT images. Since the number of hidden neurons makes an effect on final classification output, the optimization of neurons is done using MF-SSA. From the experimental analysis, it is confirmed that the proposed model is better as compared with state of art results of previous study can assist radiologists in tumor diagnosis from CT scan images.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- A. Jose, C. L. 2021. An automatic method for segmentation of liver lesions in computed tomography images using deep neural network. Expert System with Application, Elsevier Vol.180. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2021.115064
- Amita Das, U. Rajendra Acharya, S. S. P. S. S. 2019. Deep learning based liver cancer detection using watershed transform and gaussian mixture model techniques. Cognitive Systems Research Vol.54, pp.165–175. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cogsys.2018.12.009
- E. Yilmaz, T. K. and Kayipmaz, S. 2017. Noise removal of cbct images using an adaptive anisotropic diffusion filter. International Conference on Telecommunications and Signal Processing (TSP), Barcelona Vol.57, pp.650–653. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2017.8076067
- G. Chartrand, T. Cresson, R. C. A. G. A. T. and Guise, J. A. D. 2017. Liver segmentation on ct and mr using laplacian mesh optimization. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering Vol.64, 9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2016.2631139
- Hu, P., W. F. P. J. L. P. . K. D. 2016. Automatic 3d liver segmentation based on deep learning and globally optimized surface evolution. Physics in Medicine Biology Vol.61, 24. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6560/61/24/8676
- Li, W., J. F. . H. Q. 2015. Automatic segmentation of liver tumor in ct images with deep convolutional neural networks. Journal of Computer and Communications Vol.3, 11. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4236/jcc.2015.311023
- Maayan Frid-Adar, Idit Diamant, E. K. M. A. J. G. 218. Gan-based synthetic medical image augmentation for increased cnn performance in liver lesion classication. Neurocomputing,.
- M.E.H.Pedersen and A.J.Chipperfield. 2020. Simplifying particle swarm optimization. Applied Soft Computing, Vol.10, 2, pp.618–628. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2009.08.029
- Namat¯evs, I. 2017. Deep convolutional neural networks: Structure, feature extraction and training”. Information Technology and Management Science. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/itms-2017-0007
- S. Almotairi, G. Kareem, M. A. B. A. M. S. 2020. Liver tumor segmentation in ct scans using modified segnet. Sensor Vol.2.0. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/s20051516
- S. Piyush Kumar, Z. Mohammed, H. W. T. T. T. B. 2021. Ai-driven novel approach for liver cancer screening and prediction using cascaded fully convolutional neural network. Journal of Healthcare Engineering Vol.2022. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/4277436
- Seyedali Mirjalili, Amir H.Gandomi, S. Z. S. H. and MohammadMirjalili, S. 2014.
- Grey wolf optimizer. Advances in Engineering Software Vol.69, pp.46–61. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2013.12.007
- Seyedali Mirjalili, Amir H.Gandomi, S. Z. S. H. and MohammadMirjalili, S. 2016.
- The whale optimization algorithm. Advances in Engineering Software Vol.95, pp.51–67. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2016.01.008
- Tran, S.T., C. C. N. T. L. M. and Liu. 2020. Tmd-unet: Triple-unet with multi-scale input features and dense skip connection for medical image segmentation. Healthcare Vol.9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9010054
- Umit Budak, Yanhui Guo, E. T. and Sengur, A. 2020. Cascaded deep convolutional encoder-decoder neural networks for efficient liver tumor segmentation. Medical Hypotheses Vol.134. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2019.109431