Tremendous development in Internet of Things (IoT) and mobile devices lead to several images pooled on social media websites and communicated through networking channels. These images are mostly corrupted with impulse noises due to hot pixels generated in the camera sensors and communication channels. Adaptive mean filter technique removes impulse noise at low density but is unsuccessful as noise density increases and computationally expensive. In this paper, automatic adaptive filtering technique for removal of impulse (salt and pepper) noise is demonstrated. The proposed algorithm consists of impulse noise detection and noise removal modules. An automatic impulse noise detection module is based on mean and variance technique that selects the noisy pixels among the entire image. The noise removal module is based on replacement of noisy pixel through mean and edge direction using Gabor filter. The proposed technique demonstrated better robustness compared with existing techniques.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Z. Wang and D. Zhang, “Progressive switching median filter for the removal of impulse noise from highly corrupted images,” IEEE Transaction on Circuits Systems II: Analog Digital Signal Processing, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 78–80, 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/82.749102
- H. Talebi and P. Milanfar, "Global image denoising", IEEE Transaction Image Processing, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp.755 -768, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2013.2293425
- Chen, T., Wu, H. R., “Adaptive impulse detection using center-weighted median filters”, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 8, pp. 1–3, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/97.889633
- Bai, T., Tan, J., “Automatic Detection and Removal of High Density Impulse Noises,” IET Image Processing, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 162 - 172, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-ipr.2014.0286
- Majid, A., Lee, C. H., Mahmood, M. T., Choi, T.-S., “Impulse noise filtering based on noise-free pixels using genetic programming,” Knowledge Information System, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 505–526, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10115-011-0456-7
- Chou, H.-H., Hsu, L.-Y., Hu, H.-T., “Turbulent-PSO-based fuzzy image filter with no-reference measures for high-density impulse noise,” IEEE Transaction on Cybernetics, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 296–307, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2012.2205678
- Rane S., Ragha L. K., “Adaptive Mean Filter Technique for Removal of High Density Salt and Pepper (Impulse) Noise”, Springer Applied Computer Vision and Image Processing, AISC Vol. 1155, pp. 290–299, 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-4029-5_29
- Anitha, V. Radha, “Enhanced Switching Median Filter for Denoising in 2D Patterned Textile Images”, Elsevier Procedia Engineering, Vol. 38, pp. 3362 – 3372, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.06.389