Pneumonia is a dangerous and serious lung disease. Generally, Chest Radiographs are used to detect pneumonia. This article describes a new method based on Convolutional Neural Network (CNN) classifiers that can identify pneumonia from a patient’s X-ray. Hence, we are proposing pneumonia detection based on CNN using chest X-ray. In this paper, we analyze the existing methods of pneumonia detection and classification techniques. The performance of the proposed CNN model is compared with VGG19 and ResNet50-V2. Performance evaluation is done using Precision and Recall. The proposed CNN model provides higher accuracy compared to existing CNN models.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Anthimopoulos, M., Christodoulidis, S., Ebner, L., Christe, A., and Mougiakakou, S. 2016. Lung pattern classification for interstitial lung diseases using a deep convolutional neural network. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 35, 5, 1207–1216. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TMI.2016.2535865
- Bharati, S., Podder, P., and Mondal, M. R. H. 2020. Hybrid deep learning for detecting lung diseases from x-ray images. Informatics in Medicine Unlocked 20, 100391. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imu.2020.100391
- GM, H., Gourisaria, M. K., Rautaray, S. S., and Pandey, M. 2021. Pneumonia detection using cnn through chest x-ray. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology (JESTEC) 16, 1, 861–876.
- Hashmi, M. F., Katiyar, S., Keskar, A. G., Bokde, N. D., and Geem, Z. W. 2020. Efficient pneumonia detection in chest xray images using deep transfer learning. Diagnostics 10, 6, 417. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/diagnostics10060417
- Mangeri, L., OS, G. P., Puppala, N., and Kanmani, P. 2021. Chest diseases prediction from x-ray images using cnn models: A study. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications 12, 10. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14569/IJACSA.2021.0121026
- Rajasenbagam, T., Jeyanthi, S., and Pandian, J. A. 2021. Detection of pneumonia infection in lungs from chest x-ray images using deep convolutional neural network and content-based image retrieval techniques. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, 1– 8. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12652-021-03075-2
- Rammuni Silva, R. S. and Fernando, P. 2022. Effective utilization of multiple convolutional neural networks for chest x-ray classification. SN Computer Science 3, 6, 1–16. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s42979-022-01390-9
- Sirish Kaushik, V., Nayyar, A., Kataria, G., and Jain, R. 2020. Pneumonia detection using convolutional neural networks (cnns). In Proceedings of First International Conference on Computing, Communications, and Cyber-Security (IC4S 2019), P. K. Singh, W. Paw lowski, S. Tanwar, N. Kumar, J. J. P. C. Rodrigues, and M. S. Obaidat, Eds. Springer Singapore, Singapore, 471–483. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-3369-3_36
- Yue, Z., Ma, L., and Zhang, R. 2020. Comparison and validation of deep learning models for the diagnosis of pneumonia. Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/8876798